[Distutils] Packaging situation + mailing list rules

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Jul 3 20:03:15 CEST 2010

At 07:29 PM 7/3/2010 +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
>  Besides the numerous technical issues, this is just basic decency. If
>  I were PJE, I would be very mad.

I'm not mad at it being provided with a compatible API.  However, I
*am* very unhappy with the fact that the version of distribute that's
being shipped with OS distributions is both packaged as (e.g.)
"python-setuptools", AND prevents people from installing the real
setuptools, even in a local directory!

So, David, I hope you've filed this as a bug report with both
Distribute and Ubuntu, and that others will do the same for any other
distribution that's shipping distribute under a misleading name and
that has this behavior.

My understanding when this was discussed previously, was that
distribute would *only* suppress the installation of setuptools
versions released *before* the corresponding version of distribute.

Also, considering how widespread the "setuptools isn't being
maintained" lie is at this point, I'm a bit concerned that some OS
distributors may have been unduly influenced by it in their switching
decisions.

My understanding (and I would guess, that of the OS distributors' as
well) was *also* based on the premise that distribute was going to
track with setuptools' feature additions and bug fixes, which it
clearly has not.  The 0.6c11 release (last October) fixed a rather
long list of bugs besides the one you reported; does anyone know if
the rest are actually fixed in Distribute?