[Distutils] Packaging situation + mailing list rules

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 16:29:43 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 4:18 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
> And how does this answer the question "what are the disagreements" ?
> Short of saying what those are, I fail to see how to give a good
> answer,

I am not sure to understand your point here. You stated two years ago, IIRC,
that distutils code was unmanageable and too complicated, and that a
write from scracth
was better.

Since then, Guido has decided that the new distutils would be built in
a new namespace,
with no backward compatibility in the APIs.

I think that partially gives you what you wanted: we can break
everything in it for the new version. Last, the code was cleaned up,
pep8-fied, etc and 5 GSOC students are working in it.

So what is your disagreement on the distutils devenir precisely ?

Either you work on distutils2, and propose big changes etc. (we
welcome you, as I said manby times)

Either you work on your side, and propose an alternative solution, but
there's no point to criticize what the distutils team is doing

but let's not mix things, the disagreements between setuptools and
distribute is a different issue than what we are doing in distutils.