[Distutils] How to force installing setuptools instead of distribute ?

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 20:12:34 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:

> Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>>> Really?  I would've thought that the most *stable* version of a project
>>> would generally be the better choice for an operating system distribution.
>>>  ;-)
>>
>> It's a better choice than setuptools, which is unmaintained for two
>> years with pending bugfixes.
>
> Somewhat ironic from a developer who just posted that he didn't have
> time to merge a six-week-od fix for a three-month-old bug in distribute
> which is already fixed (or never existed, maybe, I haven't looked) in a
> seven-month-old setuptools.

If you want to check, it might be in here
http://svn.python.org/view?view=rev&revision=75384
And if you see anything else we missed, let us know !

Anyway, what you are saying is exactly the point: this piece of
software shouldn't rely on one person when that person cannot spend
time on it anymore (or not enough time)
because people get frustrated, things are not moving, and he gets
attacks from people here.

The big difference is that Distribute is not locked by me, eg there
are 10+ commiters
able to merge changes. Maybe you could have merge it yourself, since
Distribute is open to contributions ?

You just have to give me your bitbucket account and you'll have a
write access right away.

Apart from that, Distutils-SIG has been a nice place for months, (by
"nice" I mean a normal ML), and it looks like we are back on the bad
habits here. :(

So let's stop the flames about the setuptools / distribute war. If
people want to have a bits of it, they can check the archives.

Thanks,
Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org