[Distutils] Platform naming standardization

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 07:17:25 CET 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:

> Besides a well-defined ABI, if usc2/usc4 + 32/64 bits distinction on
> some platforms
> already fixes a numbers of use cases, I think could worth it for 2.7/3.2

What bothers me is that get_platform is the wrong function for this -
it is also likely that changing its behavior may break existing
extensions and build scripts (as get_platform is used to generate some
"distributions" names).

If a function to qualify an ABI on a specific platform is needed, it
should be a new function IMHO.

cheers,

David