[Distutils] [Catalog-sig] packaging terminology confusion

Brad Allen bradallen137 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 18:00:28 CET 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just my 2 cents:
>
> - The definitions that Tarek proposed it exactly how I already use the words.
> - I think Python Project Index is a better name than Python Package
> Index. But Cheese Shop is still better. :)
>
> That's all I have to say about it. :-)

I also liked the 'CheeseShop' name, but what does that leave our
setup.py thingies being called? Cheeseballs, maybe?

> Consulting a thesaurus yields one word that nobody has proposed yet:
> "Parcel".  Helpfully, it still starts with "P", so we could rename it the
> "Python Parcel Index".  I have a dim memory hearing this word in a jargon-y
> context before, but it's certainly considerably more obscure than "package",
> "distribution", "archive", et cetera.
> Anybody else like that one?

Yes, very much. I like 'parcel' better than 'project', partly because
it's not already overload with other contextual meanings.

While visiting Bangalore recently, I had some trouble asking for
'to-go' orders at restaurants. Nobody seemed to understand what that
meant. Finally I learned that Indians say 'parcel' when they want a
food order to go. A 'parcel' is usually bag containing all the rice,
gravy, napkins, bread, sporks you need to create an edible
distribution of items on your table at home.