[Distutils] PEP 376 -- new round

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Feb 5 02:29:21 CET 2010

At 01:55 AM 2/5/2010 +0100, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>I think it's still useful, because it points the root packages that
>can be removed
>safely without breaking the system -- even if leaving orphaned
>packages behind.
>
>Any opinion ?

I think it's a good idea to have a way to tell what packages were
*not* installed to satisfy dependencies.

Merely plotting the dependency graph doesn't tell you this, because
you could have a non-root orphan - i.e., something that was installed
to fill a dependency, but the depender(s) have now vanished.

I guess what I'm saying is, a thing that is not needed by anything
else could either be an orphan (due to other uninstalls) *or* a root
(manually chosen for install), and there is no way to tell them apart
just by following the graph.