[Distutils] Buildout release news

Gary Poster gary.poster at canonical.com
Fri Aug 27 22:23:14 CEST 2010

On Aug 27, 2010, at 3:59 PM, Reinout van Rees wrote:

> On 08/27/2010 04:12 PM, Gary Poster wrote:
>>
>> I realize that a system Python happened to work for you before.
>>
>> That's a bit awkward, because with pre-1.5.0 zc.buildout, using a system Python was not supported.
>>
>> Therefore, your recipe was not supported.
>
> "my recipe"?  osc.recipe.sysegg is not something that *I* made, I'm just using it.  "Is not supported" sounds like a helpdesk telling me "linux is not supported".
>
> And "not supported"?  osc.recipe.sysegg installs the specific eggs I tell it to find (in the system python) as develop eggs.  A nice trick that works pretty well.

...Not sure what to tell you there.  Jim has been clear from the beginning that system Pythons were not supported  with buildout.  I added support.  Anything before then happened to work.

>> No, but single buildouts are used to install different sections with entirely different requirements, including different Python versions.
>>
>>> The current implementation makes it look like every single part that needs the system matplotlib needs to have a configuration for "look in the system for matplotlib".
>>
>> Yes, parts are individually installed, per my statement above.
>
> What? I've never ever seen a buildout that has to work with different python versions in different parts.  A plone buildout just uses one python.  A django buildout, too.  So it sounds to me like some impressive over-engineering?

This is something that has been with buildout from the beginning, and has nothing to do with my changes.

I've also found it useful, FWIW, both for applications and libraries.

> Note, I don't intend to offend with that statement :-)  It's just that I'm thinking "I'll stick to 1.4.4 for the next half year and I'll re-check whether it all works again afterwards".  And I don't like that kind of thought, being that I'm using buildout a lot.  I introduced it in my current company.  I (co-)wrote recipes.  So it feels a bit dangerous if I'm not happily jumping on the newest version ;-)
>

> Anway... I'll delve deeper into it in one or two weeks :-)

OK.

Gary