[Distutils] namespace packages

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Apr 23 07:03:25 CEST 2010

At 10:16 AM 4/23/2010 +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
>In my case, it is not even the issue of many eggs (I always install
>things with --single-version-externally-managed and I forbid any code
>to write into  easy_install.pth). Importing pkg_resources alone
>(python -c "import pkg_resources") takes half a second on my netbook.

I find that weird, to say the least.  On my desktop just now, with a
sys.path 79 entries long (including 41 .eggs), it's a "blink and you
missed it" operation.  I'm curious what the difference might be.

(Running timeit -s 'import pkg_resources' 'reload(pkg_resources)'
gives a timing result of 61.9 milliseconds for me.)