[Distutils] Passing user and password to easy_install

Luigi GMail luigi.paioro at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 10:20:32 CEST 2010

>> Luigi, you might want to consider setting up a private package server
>> >  instead of using PyPI. Where I work, we publish our eggs internally
>> >  via an Apache server, so we are able to make use of Apache's security
>> >  features (like https, authentication, and IP restriction). This works
>> >  fine with setuptools and buildout, and will probably also work in
>> >  future with the new 'distribute' tools.
> +1
>
> You can also take a look at the alternative PyPI implementations,
> that implement the server-side parts of the upload and register command.
>
> I've changed Python 2.6's pypirc format so you can define in it
> several PyPI servers,
> and use the name of the target PyPI when you run register or upload
> (see the doc)
>
> I've backported it in a standalone project called "collective.dist" if
> you use python<  2.6
>
> For the server implementations, we have so far:
>
> - EggBasket
> - PloneSoftwareCenter (an extension for plone so you need to set up a plone)
> - chishop
> - ...
>
> regards
> Tarek

Yes, actually I was considering to build up a dedicated PyPI
implementation. Knowing that someone else already implemented something,
it encourages me to follow this road. Thank you, Tarek, to indicate me
some projects that allow to implement a PyPI server! Otherwise I had to
do everything alone.

Actually, as it frequently happens, solving a problem changes the problem:

A PyPI server is supposed to host binary distributions (as .rpm, .egg,
etc.) as well as source distribution. In the latter case easy_install
downloads the source distribution, unpack it, and creates an egg file
which is then installed. Alas my packages are not suitable to be
distributed as eggs since they are quite complicated and they include
some ANSI-C stuff that must be compiled and installed as libraries,
executables, etc. under /bin (where python is) and /lib (above
/pythonx.y/site-packages). For this reason setup.py files are quite
customized, making an heavy use of distutils.ccompiler. Therefore
instead of making an egg file, easy_install should simply run `python
setup.py install`. Do you know whether this is possible? Maybe using a
different tool instead of easy_install? Otherwise I have to make it on
my own...

Thanks in advance.

Luigi