[Distutils] How to separate dependencies for using my package vs developing my package?

Matthew Wilson matt at tplus1.com
Thu Apr 1 20:51:10 CEST 2010

I'm working on a package with two kinds of dependencies.

My package needs jinja2 and docutils to generate output.

Then I use nose, sphinx, mock, and a bunch of other testing tools while
I'm writing code for my package.

I don't see users of the app needing to run the test code, but maybe
they might want to generate the docs.

In pip, easy_install, whatever, is there some recommended way of
describing these separate kinds of dependencies?

Matt