[Distutils] bdist_deb in stdeb

Olof Bjarnason olof.bjarnason at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 21:44:32 CEST 2009

2009/9/28 Andrew Straw <strawman at astraw.com>:
> Gerry Reno wrote:

>>> This would be _exactly_ what I'm looking for :)
>>>

>> I know.  I've had many of my users requesting exactly the same thing
>> as well and I've been pursuing this for months now and when I got a
>> 'bdist_deb' working with stdeb I knew I was getting close.  It just
>> needs a little more tweeking and I think we'll have it.  Let's wait
>> and see what Andrew says here.
> I don't understand what you're waiting on me for at this point.
>
> Olaf -- as I understand it -- you need to work with Ubuntu 9.04. I just
> released stdeb 0.4 which supports this "bdist_deb" and doesn't pass the
> --single-version-externally-managed option anyway and therefore doesn't
> support the "--ignore-single-version-externally-managed" option. I don't
> understand why you need to pass
> "--ignore-single-version-externally-managed". "python setup.py
> bdist_deb" should work for you. Please report with specific information
> about expected and actual behavior if things are not working to your
> desire (taking care to read the, admittedly minimal, documentation in
> README.rst).

I tried "stdeb_run_setup", it got me a lot of files (and directories)
although no .deb file.

Also tried "python setup.py bdist_deb" and ".. sdist_deb". Didn't work.

What is the command line I'm supposed to run in the setup.py directory?

Note: I'm a newbee on these tools, spent a total <1 hr so far on 'em,
sorry for being so thick. It is a whole jungle to understand all these
different tools/nomenclature and how it all hangs together. I'm new to
distutils, setuptools, stdeb and .deb building in general.

--
twitter.com/olofb
olofb.wordpress.com