[Distutils] setup.cfg new format proposal

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Sep 21 10:14:23 CEST 2009

David Lyon <david.lyon at preisshare.net> writes:

> On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 16:52:22 +1000, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au>
> wrote:
> >> It's just plain unreasonable to expect windows users to resort to a
> >> command line in this day and age.
> >
> > No, I think the attitude of these statements is unreasonable. I also
> > find it staggeringly condescending.
>
> What? to say windows users don't like command lines...
>
> It's perfectly true. Not condescending.

I know many users of systems who “don't like” command lines. You're
going beyond that, though, and saying that it's unreasonable to expect
users of a particular platform to use tools similar to those that users
of other platforms use.

That you expect Windows users to be treated specially is what I find
unreasonable and condescending.

> "Special" is your word not mine. I never said that.

Yet you are using special pleading: you are saying that users of one
platform are to be treated differently in terms of what we can expect
them to learn how to use, simply because they use that specific
platform.

--
 \     “I must say that I find television very educational. The minute |
  `\       somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a book.” |