[Distutils] Buildout + namespace packages + Django management commands?

Kyle MacFarlane kylemacfarlane at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 14:48:37 CEST 2009

The way setuptools (and thus buildout) does namespace packages doesn't work
with how Django looks for management commands. Django only looks in the
first package in the namespace on the system path and ignores the rest.

Pip deals with namespace packages differently (with those .pth files I
think), so I gave gp.recipe.pip a go but it raises an ImportError that pip
isn't installed when it tries to install pip. Nice. But even if it did work
pip doesn't support eggs which I imagine will lead to many dependencies not
being installed.

Then I tried collective.recipe.omelette but it doesn't support zipped eggs
and so also fails with many dependencies. I can get round this by also using
the regular zc.recipe.egg but then I get loads of warnings about packages
being imported twice (but it all seems to kind of work).

So what is the proper way to do this? Django people are saying don't use
setuptools but everything seems to rely on setuptools.