[Distutils] tracking requested vs dependency installs in PEP 376 metadata

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Oct 22 16:51:31 CEST 2009

On 20 Oct, 2009, at 14:11, Chris Withers wrote:

> Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>> 2) Notice that simplejson gets installed and is a useful module,
>> then use that in your own scripts
>
> At this point, you specify your scripts' dependencies on simplejson.
>
> Look at it another way:
>
> You follow you process above, but after step 2, your development
> machine suffers a disk failure so you start from scratch on a new
> machine.
>
> Are you surprised at this point that simplejson isn't installed when
> you set things up again, even though by this point you've decided
> not to use TurboGears?
>
> Code should always specify their dependencies, not doing so will
> cause you problems down the line...

Sure, and I do that for for any real code. But do you really expect
that users are careful to specify dependencies for each and every
script they write.  That may be true for development shops, but I
don't expect that casual users are so careful.

But this discussion is moot anyway, the proposed metadata is meant to
help packaging tools to track which packages seem to be orphaned and
for which they can ask the user if those packages should be removed
from the system, instead of always removing seemingly orphaned packages.

Ronald