[Distutils] Alternate static metadata PEP submission...

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Wed Oct 21 13:04:54 CEST 2009

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 11:24:12 +0200, Piotr Ozarowski <ozarow at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm a Debian developer who is interested in changes you want to
> introduce so I'll add my 2 cents from time to time if you don't mind.

Hello. Yes, a virtual 2c is valuable. Certainly the best offer I've had
all day..

> and when there's a bug in this module you want all packages to be
> reuploaded instead of uploading the one with a bug?
>
> We already have to patch setup.py files f.e. to remove ez_setup which
> hardcodes setuptools versions (so we cannot use newer one) or tries to
> download packages from internet (that are not really needed at build
> time).

I'm not arguing with you. It's no more final a solution than any
other piece of source code..

But what happens to code that isn't updated? it is considered as
dead code. Then everybody hates that too.

> oh, reviewing 100kb setup.py files to see why they don't work with
> Python 2.X (and worked fine with Python 2.Y) sounds like fun ;-P

Maybe some client hoped it would work on 2.X after seeing it working
on 2.Y and then have to pay you to look through it... since you're the
local python expert.

I only hope they pay you a good rate and give you the cheque within
14 days... and you post the patch back... :-)

Take care

David