[Distutils] [RFC] PEP 345 and PEP 386 updates

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Oct 21 10:42:30 CEST 2009

Tarek Ziadé wrote:

>>> If we adopt such a micro-language (I'm reserving judgment until I've
>>> had more time to read the relevant PEPs carefully), I'd rather see the
>>> names match what's in the Python runtime more closely, probably only
>>> avoiding the call syntax.
>>
>> We could do that as well, yes.
>
> +1 on close names + no call syntax
>
> but, notice that "python_version" here is:   "%s.%s" %
> sys.version_info[0], sys.version_info[1]
>
> thats why we came up with that name, to disinguish it from sys.version
> (that contains more stuff)

I think we do need the full version here, so perhaps using
sys.version.split()[0] would be better or simply the full
version string and then have conditions use >=, <=, <, >
only (ie. not =, since that would likely never match).

Note that packages do sometimes need to know that a certain
Python patch level release is installed (e.g. Zope often has
had this need) and a proper dependency checker would have to
detect a possible mismatch.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 21 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/