[Distutils] [buildout] hard coded urls considered harmful

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 17:28:56 CEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> bootstrap.py contains the following hard coded url:
>
> exec urllib2.urlopen('http://peak.telecommunity.com/dist/ez_setup.py'
>                     ).read() in ez
>
> With hindsight, this seems like a bad idea. For example, with the ridiculous
> situation we currently have with setuptools and distribute. It also means
> that the above url can't ever change, which is a bit of a harsh requirement.
>
> My suggestion would be for bootstrap.py to include the code in ez_setup.py,
> but that seems a little heavyweight. I guess this will all be solved when
> the standard library includes modules to download packages from PyPI and
> install them. But what to do in the meantime?

zc.buildout uses setuptools. it's hardcoded and it's deeper than bootstrap.py.
Changing this properly requires quite some work.

We need to leave this alone and provide a distribute bootstrap.py
that does some extra things to make zc.buildout work with it.

A specific bootstrap.py script for distribute is possible, and I
happen to have it finished now :

$ wget http://ziade.org/bootstrap.py

(this is working with the current zc.buildout trunk)

Tarek