[Distutils] the virtualenv-distribute mess

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Oct 9 12:54:57 CEST 2009

kiorky wrote:
> Hi Lennart,
>
> If i read 'virtualenv-distribute 1.3.4.2 on pypi'
> I can  do some googling or even do some Pypi searching for  'virtualenv-distribute'.
>
> Thus, the first link found may be [1].
>
> On this link, the second sentence is:
>
> """
> The fork was started by Philip Jenvey at
> http://bitbucket.org/pjenvey/virtualenv-distribute/ and this version by Florian
> Schulze lives at http://bitbucket.org/fschulze/virtualenv-distribute/

Add http://bitbucket.org/kiorky/virtualenv-distribute/ to the list and
this, ladies and gentlemen, is why distributed source control sucks.

Why are there effectively 3 forks on virtualenv now, just to get it to
use distribute? Is it really so hard to work with Ian Bicking to be the
real virtualenv using distribute instead of setuptools, especially in
the way of the bdfl pronouncement?

Chris