[Distutils] tracking requested vs dependency installs in PEP 376 metadata

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Oct 9 13:14:59 CEST 2009

Ian Bicking wrote:
> I can imagine adding a little information, basically a log of when and
> why and who installed the package.  For instance:
>
>   agent: pip 0.5
>   install-date: 2009-10-08T13:44:00UTC
>   installed-for-user: False
>   installed-for-package: OtherPackage==0.3

I think this is a great idea. Recording more information rather than
less and making sure it's kept up to date is a good idea here.
Otherwise, when tools come along later down the line that want to make
use of this information, they'll have to hack something themselves, and
that's what got setuptools into the mess it currently is in the first place!

Chris