[Distutils] Package install failures in 2.6.3 - setuptools vs Distribute

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Oct 5 21:05:21 CEST 2009

At 11:29 AM 10/5/2009 -0700, K. Richard Pixley wrote:
>P.J. Eby wrote:
>>At 07:25 AM 10/5/2009 -0700, K. Richard Pixley wrote:
>>>How do I delete a package using easy_install?
>>http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#uninstalling-packages
>That doesn't remove a package.  It simply removes the package from
>the search path by one method in hopes that no further instances of
>it will be loaded.
>
>To actually remove it, you have to know the format of the library,
>the package formats, local library storage conventions, and you need
>to be an expert user of distutils, setuptools, buildout, etc, in
>order to determine the content of the package itself in order to
>remove it manually.

As it says at the above link:

"After you've done this, you can safely delete the .egg files or
directories, along with any scripts you wish to remove."

What it doesn't mention (but which should be apparent if you actually
run the command) is that it will output the locations of the .egg
files or directories and scripts in question, allowing you to copy
and paste them to 'rm' or 'del' commands.