[Distutils] PEP 386 status - last round here ?

ssteinerX@gmail.com ssteinerx at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 16:16:17 CET 2009

On Nov 27, 2009, at 9:58 AM, Piotr Ozarowski wrote:

> [ssteinerX at gmail.com, 2009-11-27]
>>> That makes me think that a nice add-on to the lib and the PEP would be
>>> to provide APIs to translate a Python PEP 386 version to a Debian/Ubuntu or RPM ones -
>>> and any major packaging system out there. (whatever scheme we pick)
>>
>> Wouldn't it be cool if the package that goes along with this PEP
>> became the standard version checker used by ALL of these
>> distributions?
>
> used where?

I'm thinking of a tool, callable within *any* build process, for verifying that the version conforms to the "RationalVersion" scheme, for example.

Especially, I'm interested in a tool that would automatically increment version numbers for e.g. in process development versions where each build needs a new version number (maybe in several places e.g. setup.py, documentation, history file, etc.).