[Distutils] People want CPAN :-)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Nov 9 08:09:22 CET 2009

David Lyon <david.lyon at preisshare.net> writes:

> On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 23:28:42 -0600, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:
>
> > In the tools I've written, I generally give the traceback if the
> > verbosity is turned up, and in a case like this (an unexpected
> > exception -- for distutils that's any exception except a few that
> > distutils defines) I include "use -v for more".
> >
> > I think distutils (or Distribute) could do the same.
>
> Hi Ian,
>
> I think PIP is quite an accomplishment.
>
> But don't you think that its a big ask to refactor
> distutils/distribute to redo their error messages for package
> building?

I've just had a read through the code for ‘pip’; AFAICT, the “redo the
error messages for package building” essentially amounts to using the
‘logging’ module. Is that a big ask?

--
 \        “We have to go forth and crush every world view that doesn't |
  `\                believe in tolerance and free speech.” —David Brin |