[Distutils] People want CPAN :-)

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Sat Nov 7 15:46:01 CET 2009

Hi Tarek,

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 12:12:44 +0100, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>
wrote:
> You don't understand at all what is going on I think.

I guess so.

> .. it means that we can take
> more help from more people (and that includes you of course).

I really do accept that.

What's hard for me to understand exactly is what you will actually allow
me to do.

> Wether you like it or not, I am maintaining Distutils, so I am trying
> to coordinate the work that is going on for that matter.  And this work
> is currently organized in several PEPs we are changing everytime
> someone provides some new feedback and insights.

Why would I mind that you're maintaining distutils ? I don't pretend
to know it as well as you do.

I've been working in software for over twenty years and I've
seen many things but nothing really like distutils. I certainly
couldn't maintain it the way you are doing.

I have real trouble understanding it.

> You have started some kind of "counter-PEP" to push another build
> system, and I really doubt this is useful in any ways.

You shouldn't take it personally that another person tried to submit
a PEP. So many people helped me with my proposal on the mailing
list - and I owe it to them to at least get their efforts taken
into consideration as a PEP.

In any case, if you feel strongly about this then I can revise
my proposal so that it doesn't look like a proposal for a build
system (it was for a metadata setup - not a build system).

> Discussing new ideas is useful of course, ..

The implication there is you don't want me to submit PEPs because
they somehow counter your work. Well if that's the case I can
be more careful in the future. There's plenty of things
that I can write PEPs for now...

A metadata install was just the first..

And to my knowledge, there still isn't a PEP about that. Right?

David