[Distutils] [issue89] easy_install silently drop symlinks when auto-extracting tarball source distributions

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 11:57:03 CET 2009

2009/11/2 "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>:
>> Anyways, that's not the way an issue tracker works. If you want to
>> answer to issues, you do it in the
>> tracker itself. That's what you have been doing most of the time IIRC.
>
> You may be missing one of the primary strengths of roundup: the ability
> to carry out bug discussions (nearly) entirely by email.
>
>> You can't follow a discussion on an issue otherwise.
>
> Sure you can. As soon as you respond by email, you get added to the
> nosy list of the issue, which means you'll also get all follow-ups.
>
>> For example, in the Python issue tracker, there's a dedicated ist for
>> that , but it's just notifications,
>> and you answer afterwards in the tracker to keep track of it.
>
> No no no. Some people use the web interface, some use the email
> interface. I'd have to perform exact counting to find out which
> one is the majority, however, both are used significantly (my guess
> is that committers prefer email; bug submitters use the web interface
> because they don't expect email responses to work).

This feature is great, I didn't know about it, but you don't put these
emails in a -SIG list as
far as I know, do you ? You don't push email at python-dev either.

But what is the rationale to have a python.org hosted tracker with
emails sent in this list here ?

Does it means any third party project can get such a tracker at
Python.org and push its mails in a -SIG list ?

>> If the subject can be changed with the word "setuptools" in it, I'll
>> accomodate with it.
>
> Did you ask for that specifically because I said it would be difficult
> to provide?

Uh ? not at all.

Look in your emails, and look in the first private mail I have sent you
a few days ago, when the last issue came up (you didn't answer then).
I said in that mail that is was hard to follow and make a distinction
between the different projects because it only has a [distutils]
headers.

And I have I said it again here.