[Distutils] Side by side debug/non-debug eggs

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Fri May 22 18:00:14 CEST 2009

On Fri, 22 May 2009 11:33:54 -0400, "P.J. Eby" <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
>At 09:45 AM 5/22/2009 -0400, Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:
>>Hello all,
>>
>>Prior to eggs, if I wanted to have debug and non-debug versions of an
>>extension module available, I could build and install the extension
>>twice and the modules would happily co-exist, for example:
>>

>>  $ python setup.py build install
>>  $ python-dbg setup.py build install
>>  $ .../site-packages/twisted/python$ ls *.so
>>  _epoll_d.so  _epoll.so
>>  $ .../site-packages/twisted/python$
>>If I then ran a debug build of Python, the debug extension would be loaded.
>>When I ran a normal build of Python, the non-debug extension would be
>>loaded.
>>However, with eggs, each new egg completely replaces the last egg.  There
>>seems to be no possibility for side-by-side builds.  Am I overlooking a
>>feature of eggs or of setuptools?
>
>Have you tried "setup.py develop"?  This builds extensions in-place in the
>source tree and adds the source tree to sys.path.

Aware of it, but I haven't tried it.  In this use, it sounds very
similar to "setup.py build_ext -i", which also partially solves the
problem.  Unfortunately, some packages have their source laid out
such that they cannot actually be used in-place, only after they've
been installed.

Thanks,
Jean-Paul