[Distutils] PEP 376 - site-directories and site.addsitedir

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Thu May 14 16:41:23 CEST 2009

On Thu, 14 May 2009 14:38:07 +0100, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/5/14 Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>:
>
> I'm not sure how well-defined that is. Can you precisely define what a
> "site-packages directory" is?

Site-packages is referenced from the "original" site.py code.

It is a place from my reading where all packages common for the python
installation are stored. It is the site repository for all extra packages.

It's specifically hardcoded with an
os.path.join(python-path,"lib","site-packages") command.

Specifically, what about the Windows
> registry items under HKLM\Software\Python\PythonCore\x.y\PythonPath?
> There may be other "special" locations, I can't recall for certain.

There's a user-packages location under python 2.6

But it's use hasn't been picked up. If it was under linux then the
equivalent would possibly be ~/.user-packages.

David