[Distutils] PyPI mirroring and Changing the .egg-info PEPs

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 21:44:59 CET 2009

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 20:10, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:
> Suggestions:
>
> Instead of http://pypi.python.org/mirrors how about
> http://mirrors.pypi.python.org (or pypimirrors.python.org, etc) --
> then the mirror list can be hosted separately, and the likelihood of
> both the mirrors and the main PyPI server being down are much lower.

+1

> Admittedly, this makes it harder for other indexes to provide their
> own mirrors

It does? Why? I must have missed something. :)

It does make it easy to provide local caching though. If you want to
cache pypi you can just make a local name for mirrors.pypi.python.org
pointing to a site that provides just one mirror: your own local
cache.

--
Lennart Regebro: Pythonista, Barista, Notsotrista.
http://regebro.wordpress.com/