[Distutils] easy_install fails on sourceforge?

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Tue Jun 30 03:26:39 CEST 2009

I'm getting a similar issue (easy_install failing on sourceforge) when
trying to download Pyro:

$ easy_install -eb. Pyro
/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/Pyrex/Compiler/Errors.py:17:
DeprecationWarning: BaseException.message has been deprecated as of
Python 2.6
  self.message = message
Searching for Pyro
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/Pyro/
Reading http://pyro.sourceforge.net
Reading http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=18837
No local packages or download links found for a source distribution of Pyro
error: Could not find suitable distribution for Requirement.parse('Pyro')

The thing is, there is a source distribution of Pyro right there on the
SourceForge website. Why doesn't this grab the .tar.gz file and build
and install it? I thought setuptools did this automatically. Perhaps my
memory is failing me. (It wouldn't be the first time.)

-Andrew