[Distutils] A tale of two conventions: Incompatibility of version comparison semantics

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 15:40:40 CEST 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Tarek Ziadé<ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Jean-Paul Calderone<exarkun at divmod.com> wrote:
>>> Forgive me for saying so, but this looks strongly like abandoning the
>>> criterion of “make it easier for distributors than it is at present”.
>>
>> By having this standard, distributors do have an easier time.  They can
>> transform these version numbers automatically, just as they do many other
>> things to upstream packages automatically to turn them into a distro
>> package.
>>
>> So no, the goal of making it easier for distributors is not being
>> abandoned.
>
> Absolutely,

> let's not forget that this proposal will provide a standard for people to ve

oups, sent too early

I won't comment on this week mails yet, I lost track of the
discussions so I need to read them.
But I wanted to react on this:

Let's not forget that this proposal will provide a standard for people
to version
their packages in a way that is directly compatible for distributions out there,

The final goal is to write some statement like this in the python distutils doc:

"Hey, if you want to have a distributions-friendly package, you might
want to use this tool for
 your version numbers, it's proven to work on most packaging systems out there"

People will be free not to follow it of course if they don't
distribute their packages,
and this will not change their lives.

Regards
Tarek