[Distutils] Packaging: bdist_deb patches / platform specific code

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Jun 9 23:01:35 CEST 2009

On 8 Jun, 2009, at 22:22, Leonardo Santagada wrote:

> The point is not exactly cross compilation, but cross maintaining of
> distribution specific code. The only way this actually works now, I
> would guess, is because rpm format hasn't changed much, and
> win32_inst has a huge user base.

Even for bdist_rpm it is questionable if the implementation is correct
w.r.t. the policies of various distributions.  Given the discussions
about this in the past we wouldn't need a "bdist_rpm" or "bdist_deb"
but "bdist_redhat", "bdist_suse", "bdist_debian", ...

Bdist_wininst and bdist_msi are somewhat special because the OS vendor
does not have a specific policy on how to install python software.

Ronald