[Distutils] Cache PYTHONPATH? (Re: make unzipped eggs be the default)

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Wed Jul 29 23:47:46 CEST 2009

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 01:34:11 -0500, Jeff Rush <jeff at taupro.com> wrote:
> Hi David.  Not just your post but others here are making assumptions on
> your own working environment.  Yes there are systems you need to save
> disk space on, yes there are systems where you care about I/O
> performance.  These are embedded systems.

Maybe you too are making the assumption that I've never worked on
such devices.. :-)

I have..

> This attitude of allowing Python to always grow larger is prevalent on
> the core developers list as well, where they are removing the ability to
> compile Python selectively to drop out those portions not needed on a
> platform.

ok. But people want to add their own code.. rarely do they want to
take away.. people resist if their code is taken away..

> Pardon the rant.  I just get frustrated when people believe that the
> path forward is faster and bigger systems on our desktops when actually
> desktops are dying and will be rare in ten years.

Only because motherboards will be embedded into the monitors more and
more often..

Anyway, you're kindof biting the hairs on the tail here.. because 3rd
party packages don't impact the size of the whole python installation
that much.

Still, it's an interesting point...

David