[Distutils] RFC PEP 386 : Version comparisons

Floris Bruynooghe floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 10:28:57 CEST 2009

On Sun, Jul 05, 2009 at 02:40:37PM -0400, P.J. Eby wrote:
> At 02:12 PM 7/4/2009 -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:
>> - -1.  I would rather exclude some use cases (post releases), than drop
>> standardization altogether.
>
> And some people are the exact opposite, which means there's no
> consensus...  and thus no way to proceed.

I was under the impression that .devX and .postX where accepted, but
it got messy when .postX.devX got used.  But AFAIC (I'm not re-reading
the entire thread now) it was stated that .postX.devX was not actually
required (and if it was required just allowig exactly one each and it
that order was sufficient).

Also there is little harm in allowing .postX.devX you can simply
ignore it and use simple 1.0.0 if that's all you want (I for one would
ignore any .postX stuff).  As Tres says in another mail on this
thread, what's important is that you can compare versions of another
project and know what to expect as an outcome instead of hoping that
all package managers using your version will make sense out of it.

Regards
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom