[Distutils] [Python Language Summit] Distutils / Packaging survey

Floris Bruynooghe floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 22:54:39 CET 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 08:35:07PM +0100, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> David Cournapeau has sent me a first draft of a document, you might
> want to look at.
>
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/distutils-autoconf
>
> Might be a good basis for a common understanding

Looks useful!  Not sure where to comment on this so doing it here...

Under Categories I think "configuration files (sysconfdir)" and
"statedir" are missing.  I also don't know in how far it's useful to
provide a separate "logdir", autotools doesn't seem to do this it
rather let's you construct one using statedir.  As for "html doc" and
"pdf doc" I'm not sure why they are separate, surely they can both
just be constructed from "docdir"?  The trick is to make it fine
grained enough so packagers will be able to customise it enough and
leave it coarse enough so that developers will want to classify their
files properly.

Regards
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom