[Distutils] GUI for Python package Management

Amit k. Saha amitsaha.in at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 04:46:39 CET 2009

Hello!

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 6:41 AM,  <david.lyon at preisshare.net> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am a developer from other languages and find myself on python now.
>
> I'm wondering if anybody has objections to doing a package management gui
> for python.
>
> My design suggestions would be to:
>
>  - use WXWidgets (cross compatability for most pythonic platforms)
>  - provide a GUI wrapper for EasyInstall
>  - source packages from http://pypi.python.org/pypi
>
> It seems we have most of the componentry in place. The problem seems to be
> that it doesn't come together in a very user friendly way at the moment
> that is cohesive.
>
> Can anybody/everybody flame/tell me why we shouldn't work to simplify this
> area of python ?

I am one of developers working on the Python support in NetBeans
project: http://wiki.netbeans.org/Python. I am working on the design
of a "Egg Manager" in NetBeans, which will enable the Python developer
to manage the "eggs" from NetBeans IDE itself. The manager will use
'easy_install' for the time being, via its XML-RPC interface, and will
have support for user created 'virtualenv' platforms.

This I am sure will be a definite value addition to the Python
developers who are working with NetBeans. Coming to your question,( I
am a newbie to this area), but seems like 'PyPI' is perhaps the  best
way to go with if anyone wants to design something related Package
manager for Python and 'easy_install' will be the background working
'thread'.

Just my 2-cents..

-Amit

Amit Kumar Saha