[Distutils] [Python Language Summit] Distutils / Packaging survey

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 16:56:10 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 1:38 PM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:

>> Would you like to write down a detailed description of these
>> elements ?
>
> I second this. David has several times invoked "setuptools should do
> it like autoconf", but that isn't much use without a detailed
> specification of *exactly what* setuptools should do, written by
> people who know what is being asked for (like David) and targetted to
> people who don't know anything about autoconf.
>
> It's a lot of work to come up with such a specification, and will
> require input from experts and much discussion, but until it's done
> such requests for change carry little weight.

Right, maybe the first step would be for David to write down the desired
change in the wiki, to be discussed in this list.

The threads that we had in the past in these topics did not produce any
output unfortunately, because it was hard for everyone to read +100 messages

If a wiki page is started with simple requirements, it can be used to
start to work things out

++
Tarek

--