[Distutils] virtualenv and buildout integration ?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Aug 27 14:36:20 CEST 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 8:38 PM, Yonsy Solis<yonsy at aureal.com.pe> wrote:
> 3) exist any plan for buildout to obtain the same isolation level than
> virtualenv ? when ?

As Gary mentioned, yes. I hope this will be in 1.5, within a few weeks
(maybe days :).

> 4) do you see any other alternative to obtain the same effect (we need
> to test apps between python 2.5 and python 2.6, we see than the buildout
> dont ignore the global site-package, some dev machines are really messed
> in their python interpreters used and the eggs/modules/installed in
> their systems, and we love to deploy the apps inside venvs with
> mod_wsgi, no more hell with pythonpath)

Sure. The simplest, IMO, is to use a clean Python built from source
that you keep clean and share among your various projects.  We deploy
to CentOS-based systems and deploy "cleanpython" RPMs (for both 2.4
and 2.6) along side the Red Hat supplied installs.  We develop on Mac
and Ubuntu and typically have clean Python builds that we share among
our various projects.

Of course, you can create a virtualenv and keep it clean and use it
for multiple buildouts. This is the rough equivalent of of creating a
clean Python. Buildout never installs into site-packages, so if you
create a clean virtualenv, buildout won't dirty it.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton