[Distutils] Splitting metadata from setup.py in distutils..

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Aug 17 17:09:31 CEST 2009

David Lyon wrote:
> We must resist the option to nest (against unnecessary complexity).
> ConfigParser does lists easily so you can store a list of files
> extremely easily.

Cool, what's the format for lists?

> It also does free form text (descriptions).

And for this?

> For me, that only leaves the choice of a filename..
>
>  - setup.info
>
>  - setup.conf
>
>  - others..?

...is entirely up to the package developer. We can suggest whatever, but
since it'll be called from setup.py, we can't do anything other than
suggest a sensible default that will work with the tools that will
hopefully show up that only parse the static file...

> Having a setup.py and a setup.info to me seems simple and
> straightforward. It's easier to understand than having all
> the metadata 'hardcoded' in a program (as "cute" as that is).

For some packages (see lxml for example) it's not cute but a necessity
to figure out how to build their extensions properly...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk