[Distutils] Splitting distribute in several distributions

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Sat Aug 15 17:06:40 CEST 2009

Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> elements). root modules in setuptools will be moved to the
> distribute.core package so the
>   root namespace stays empty.

Is this purely to avoid the problem solved by Martin von Lewis's PEP to
do with namespace packages?

> - Distribution Name  = "DistributeResources"
> - Content: the part of pkg_resources.py that handles installed
> distribution querying +  renamed to "distribute.resources"
 >
> - Distribution Name  = "DistributeEntryPoints"
> - Content: the part of pkg_resources.py that handles entry points +
> renamed to "distribute.entry_points"
 >
> - Distribution Name  = "DistributeInstaller"
> - Content: the part of pkg_resources.py that handles version
> comparison + package_index, that gets files at pypi + easy_install.py
> + easy_install command extracted from setuptools package +  renamed
> into a "distribute.installer" package

These all raise the question for me, again:
What's the difference between a distribution and a package?
Which is the one with a setup.py and what is the other one?

If a distribution has a setup.py, then I'm not just having the
distribution names be the same as the module names and be:

distribution_resources
distribution_entrypoints (why is this not part of
                           distribution_resources?)
distribution_installer

If it's package that has the setup.py, then just replace 'distribution'
with 'package' in the above. If you're splitting these because they
deserve to be independent packages, then why do they need to be tied
together under the 'distribute' name?

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk