[Distutils] Splitting distribute in several distributions

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Aug 12 14:18:30 CEST 2009

On Aug 12, 2009, at 4:35 AM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:

> I am not sure because the only use case I have in mind is comparing
> versions
> when you install, update or check installed distributions. What I
> propose
> is to leave the version stuff in installer, and as soon as we realize
> it's needed
> elsewhere (that will happen if it's the case before 0.7 is out), we
> split it on its own.

One feature I would love to see make standard is the ability to import
a package and check its __version__.  Version information must be
available from Python, and it seems like __version__ is the standard
place to put it.  Too many times I've had to figure out the version of
foo.bar that I'm using.  When I can do

 >>> import foo.bar
 >>> foo.bar.__version__
3.2.1

I am a much happier camper.

Right now this is largely left to the library developer, but I think
distribute has some influence here.  People want to describe version
numbers in only one place and if that's in the metadata, they'll tend
not to also include it in the package namespace.  In that case,
providing for a recommended standard way of doing it is essential.

-Barry