[Distutils] The problem with Setuptools on Python 3.

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 18:02:06 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 17:07, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> I still don't understand why you can't have a setup3.py that uses only
> distutils, in order to run the build2to3 on.  Am I missing something?

Well, the question then becomes why not just depends on distutils all
the way? With a setup3.py that does this, most of the work for
removing this self-dependency is done.

>  python3 setup3.py build_2to3
>  cd wherevertheoutputgoes
>  python3 setup.py test  (or whatever)

Well, first of all the distutils build command doesn't include the
files needed, such as setup.py, and also it doesn't copy the txt files
that is the doctests. So it would need an extended version of
build_py_2to3 that does copy these files. And instead of doing "cd
wherever, python2 setup.py test", we can just as well just do a custom
command that runs the custom build_py_2to3 and runs the tests from
there too.

So in fact, what you are suggesting here is almost exactly what I'm
suggesting, except that I don't see the point in confusing and
complicating things by keeping the old setup.py.

http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64