[Distutils] Distutils changes - end user requirements (Was: Deprecate MANIFEST.in)

Antonio Cavallo a.cavallo at acm.org
Fri Apr 10 11:21:59 CEST 2009

Hi,
I've been working on something similar with various approaches since a
long while.

I've finally got someting running on
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/cavallo71:/python-opt

It compiles on across different distribution but at the moment the
suse rpmlint checks are
too stringent and the compile fails (actually it works fine but it
doesn't release the packages).

Basically what I needed was (still is) a rpm integrated package to
install on any linux distribution
with a precise set of requirements:

1. The administrator should see the distro installed python (transparency)
2. The new "interpreter" should set on request the environment (explicit)
3. The installation should leverage the rpm infrastructure
(consistency in a running system)

These requirements are mandatory in order to garantee a smooth operation
on across systems.
Moreover a user shoudl use the distuils tools to install additional packages
without any "magic" (so python setup.py bdist_rpm should generate a
working installable package).

Basically to "activate" the new python interpreter all a user have to do is
typing something like:
$> . /opt/cavallo-python-2.6.1/cavallo-python-env.sh

(yes the name has to be changed at some point;))

Let me know if this sounds a good idea,

Regards,
Antonio Cavallo

I'm packaging python for linux in a separate deirectory and I needed
to be completely "system" trasnparent,