[Distutils] Deprecate MANIFEST.in

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 17:40:02 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 5:19 PM, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:

> I agree with you.  But I 100% disagree with Tarek that the way to get there
> is by refactoring the distutils.  The distutils are stable (i.e., dead and
> obsolete) and need to be *replaced*, not refactored.

No it's not. As discussed in the Summit., it'll get lighter, and we will build
a backport for 2.5 and 2.6. (check the summit mails and Guido's answers)

> We need a new source manifest format and to deprecate the distutils as a
> whole, not add an API to it and deprecate the parts that actually work.
>
> Nobody is arguing that distutils (or even setuptools) is the "right" way to
> do things.  But you can't get to the right thing by working forward from the
> wrong...  you've got to work backwards from the right.
>
> That means creating an installation manifest format that is 100% explicit,
> and then having tools (including distutils/setuptools commands, and plugins
> for other build systems) that can generate that manifest, as well as tools
> to install files according to different platforms' predilections.

We have been working on all those topics, sprinting at Pycon too,

Please, help us at where we at:  pick a workgroup here
http://wiki.python.org/moin/Distutils (Pycon tasks)

I will not let this happen : a big step backward because you didn't
take part to the summit