[Distutils] "just use debian"

Josselin Mouette joss at debian.org
Tue Sep 30 23:32:14 CEST 2008

Le mardi 30 septembre 2008 à 15:46 -0500, Dave Peterson a écrit :
> Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > No, please stop here. That’s not OK. If a new version of HardJSON breaks
> > your application, it is friggin’ broken. If that new version is not
> > compatible, it should be called HardJSON2, and nothing will break.
>
> I disagree with your assertion that the name HAS to imply API
> compatibility.   There ought to be something that specifies API / ABI
> compatibility, such as the combination of name and some portion of a
> version number,  but too many people depend on a name for marketing or
> other purposes for us to impose that it indicate technical aspects.

The marketing name does not have to be the same of the name of the
module you import. The situation where they differ is even quite common.

You can also argue for separating the name from the API version, like
the soname of a library, and I’ll agree, but in the end it is very
similar.

> If your OS distribution chooses to do things that way, then fine, when
> your OS builds the distribution, it can rename it to HardJSON2 but
> that shouldn't be required of every platform.

We can do that, but we won’t as long as it is possible to do otherwise.
It completely breaks compatibility with third-party packages or modules,
and it is unnecessarily hard to maintain.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.