[Distutils] [Fwd: Re: Annoucing distribute project]

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sun Sep 28 15:08:40 CEST 2008

At 03:34 PM 9/26/2008, Ian Bicking wrote:
>I'm not sure I agree with removing setup.py, though I dislike how it
>functions currently -- that you kind of have to poke it from the
>side to get basic information out of it, instead of something more
>declarative.  In some ways it's the distutils/setuptools interface
>that most people actually use -- pyinstall for instance only calls
>setup.py in subprocesses to install the package, and never touches
>it directly.  So anything that acts fairly similar to the current
>setup.py's will be compatible.  This is part of why I don't think
>the backward compatibility issue is as difficult as Guido suggests.
>
>Though... really if pyinstall could easily detect a new source
>format and only setup.py with the old source format, it wouldn't be
>hard to support both.  There does need to be room for custom code,
>but mostly for the build/compilation process.

The main reason to drop setup.py as the interface is to prevent
people writing their own crazy command line "parsing" (e.g. probing
sys.argv directly) and from trying to install stuff or do other
things unconditionally in code that shouldn't be doing anything but
configuration.  Having a 'configure.py' or some such would be a clear
break with the past in this respect.

That is, a configure.py script would be there if and only if you
needed dynamic metadata or build-spec generation, and it shouldn't be
designed to run as a user-run script, but instead be invoked in a
restricted way by build and install tools.  It should also be
required to be sandboxable, in the sense that it should write to no
files outside the build area.  It should also be well-understood that
it is not to unconditionally import dependencies, nor assume that
failure to import a dependency means the dependency isn't present.

(And if you don't have any dynamic metadata requirements, the package
metadata and build specs should be able to be defined in
non-executable configuration files, with no need for a configure.py.)

IOW, the main reason (IMO) to drop backward compatibility is
precisely to get rid of setup.py and thus all of the crazy hairy
things people do with it that they've got no business doing (because
they can't accomplish what they need any other way, without first
becoming an expert at distutils internals).

Meanwhile, legitimate *build* extensions can and should be restrained
to *building*, rather than installing.  We can define a build
directory layout for installers to use for actual installation,
including various platform-specific elements (such as icons/menu
items, registry stuff, post-install scripts, etc.) which it's then
the responsibility of individual installer programs to handle.

I guess that means that we would need to spec out:

1. Source tree layout
2. Build configuration files/build processing
3. configure.py
4. sdist format & metadata
5. build tree layout (for build code to build and installers to install from)

But the basic idea is that the stdlib supplies the
build-and-distribute framework, package authors can have build
extensions, but only install programs can actually install or
uninstall anything.  The build layout should be flexible enough to
allow things like dumping Debian or RPM or MSI metadata in there, for
"install" tools (which might technically be platform bdist tools) to pull out.

This is a rather important separation of duties, because right now
bdist tools are responsible for build management and tricking
"install" commands in order to do their work.  This makes it too hard
for people to write bdist tools.  (And you can't even *think* about
custom install tools with the distutils now.)

These elements would make it possible for the distutils to be divided
up into more maintainable slices, that are owned by a much larger
group of people, with much lower probability of burnout.  Given a
stable build layout, install tools aren't likely to change
much.  Given a stable source and build layout, build tools aren't
likely to change much.  The hairiest bits (extension/compiler stuff)
will have to be in stdlib anyway, and are fairly isolated within the
overall process.

(I also think we should encourage the model pioneered in buildout and
setuptools of keeping build extensions as separate packages from the
things they're used to build, but I could be convinced that making it
*possible* (but not necessarily easy) to include a build extension
within a package that's using it, could *perhaps* be a reasonable idea.)