[Distutils] Annoucing distribute project

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Thu Sep 25 18:46:20 CEST 2008

--On 25. September 2008 12:31:40 -0400 "Phillip J. Eby"
<pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:

> Personally, I would rather see not a "fork", but development of an
> entirely new disutils replacement, and then not worry at all about
> backward compatibility at the setup.py level.  Apart from the
> pkg_resources module, I would treat setuptools and distutils as legacy
> infrastructure, and explore better ways to build and manage distributions
> (including eggs).

We can not restart with something completely different or new. Such an
approach would be totally unacceptable due to the huge amount of existing
modules having switched to setuptools. Setuptools or an improved codefork
must be the tools for managing distibutions in Python.

-aj