[Distutils] Setup tools causes problems with orca finding its python packages

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Tue Sep 23 17:24:35 CEST 2008

This seems to do it (I know that this is not the correct way of doing
things, but I have made the mistake):
As root install plasTeX (http://plastex.sf.net, also in pypi) from
source by using the setup.py script in it. This should add a plasTeX
directory to your site-packages directory.
Forget to uninstall it (IE. that source installation is still there when
you do the following).

Running as root to perform the install, give the following command

easy_install -Z plasTeX

Now look in easy-install.pth in the site packages directory
(/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/easy-install.pth on my system), I
find /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages listed there after the above
command.

I don't believe this is specific to plasTeX but this is the one I
noticed it with. Also I know this isn't the correct way to do things, we
should remember to uninstall source installations first, but sometimes
things slip our minds.

If plasTeX isn't installed in any form before installing with
easy_install this bug doesn't show, a subdirectory is created and the
subdirectory is added.

Michael Whapples