[Distutils] [zc.buildout] use of pkg_resources

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Oct 21 18:36:29 CEST 2008

On Oct 21, 2008, at 12:21 PM, Pascoe, S (Stephen) wrote:

> I'm intrigued ...
>
> Why the scripts buildout produces don't use pkg_resources.  They all
> add each egg to sys.path manually and import script entry points
> manually.  It would seem more consistent to use
> pkg_resources.working_set.find_plugins() and
> pkg_resources.working_set.run_script()
>
> I can imagine there might be a good reason, such as making
> absolutely sure the correct egg is at the top of sys.path.

Yes, among other reasons, such as:

- Not using system Python,

- Not requiring a special python environment to be set when not using
a system Python,

- Allowing different scripts to use different package versions, as
needed by the script.

>   This is another example of the TIMTOWTDI malaise that is rife with
> anything to do with setuptools.

The "it" is different in the case of buildout. Buildout is solving a
somewhat different problem than easy_install.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation