[Distutils] developing a package and two packages it depends on

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Wed Oct 15 16:19:33 CEST 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 02:05:07PM +0100, Chris Withers wrote:
> I have a package that has a setup.py containing the following:
>
> setup(
>     name='xlutils',
>     install_requires=[
>     'xlrd',
>     'xlwt',
>     ],
>     )
>
> I'm using buildout to setup and development and testing environment for
> this project so I have a buildout.cfg containing the following:
>
> [buildout]
> develop = .
> parts = test py
>
> [py]
> recipe = zc.recipe.egg
> eggs = xlutils
> interpreter = py
>
> [test]
> recipe = zc.recipe.testrunner
> eggs = xlutils
>
> How can I get the above to use a checkout of xlrd and xlwt's trunk?

Use svn:externals to check them out inside your tree, then include those
directories in the 'develop' line in buildout.cfg.

(And if you want your users, i.e., people who easy_install xlutils from
PyPI, to get trunk checkouts from xlrd and xlwt, then you want the wrong
thing and should reconsider.)

Marius Gedminas
--
We don't really understand it, so we'll give it to the programmers.