[Distutils] Implementing the reporthook on setuptools

Leonardo Santagada santagada at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 21:13:59 CEST 2008

Sidnei gave me the idea to implement a progress status while
downloading packages with setuptools. There is an empty reporthook on
package_index.py. If I understood it correctly we could override it to
show a progress report while it is downloading a package.

The problem is that setuptools don't print directly to the stdout but
uses a logging infrastructure (the one from distutils) to print. This
way it is impossible for example to print a '.' at each block received
(like wget does).

I want to know if you guys think this is interesting and if it is, if
anyone has any idea on how to do it?

--
Leonardo Santagada
santagada at gmail.com