[Distutils] Pre-pre-PEP: Requirements for the Python BUILDS Specification

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Fri Oct 10 21:56:02 CEST 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 02:34:30PM -0400, Ian Bicking wrote:
> Paul Moore wrote:
> >My feeling, by the way, is that "system packagers" are the more
> >relevant group on Linux/Unix (where most users install Python modules
> >via system packages, or else they are developers)
>
> I think this is part of why I don't understand the system packager
> perspective.  Developers shouldn't use system packages, it just doesn't
> make any sense to have that intermediation.

This only applies to packages you're developing, not those you're using
to develop your app/library/whatever.

Why I, as a developer, prefer system packages:

 * easier installation
 * easier upgrades
 * I don't have to keep track of security updates myself

In fact those are the same reasons why I prefer system packages as a
user.

There are downsides (e.g. you usually don't get the latest version, and
sometimes distributions apply broken patches).

Marius Gedminas
--
You'll find creativity working hand in hand with engineering. It will feel
strange and you might feel like things are out of control. Relax - they are.